Anemia treatment in Houston is a key part of maintaining a healthy life. First of all, let’s define anemia and then talk about foods that can help anemia treatment in Houston.
What is Anemia?
Anemia is a disorder that affects many people. It is caused by a lack of iron or vitamins in your diet which signals a depletion of hemoglobin in your blood. Hemoglobin helps carry your blood throughout your body and is crucial to your health. Signs of anemia include, but are not limited to, feeling tired, having difficulty breathing, feeling dizzy, getting headaches, being generally exhausted and feeling cold.
The most common kind of anemia involves being iron deficient. Iron helps hemoglobin work in your body so it is crucial to get your iron levels checked.
Anemia can be treated and cured by a doctor, but a key factor in your healing will depend on your diet. Here is a list of foods that will help your anemia treatment and a list of foods to avoid.
What Foods are Good for Anemia Treatment?
A variety of foods can be helpful for anemia treatment in Houston, Texas. Here is a list of foods good for anemia treatment:
- Chicken liver
- A variety of bean types like kidney, lima, or Navy beans
- Beef & beef liver
- Instant oatmeal
- Whole wheat bread
- Peanut butter
- Brown rice
- Breakfast cereals enriched with iron
- Pumpkin, squash or sesame seeds
What Foods Should you Remove from Your Diet for Anemia Treatment?
Certain foods may trigger or conflict with your anemia treatment in Houston. Here is a list of foods to avoid:
- Sugar and sodas. Sugar is known to block iron absorption.
- Refined grains like white flour, degermed cornmeal, white bread and white rice
- It’s sad but chocolate actually helps remove iron from your body, so it’s definitely something you should remove.
- Bran is high in insoluble fiber that traps and removes iron during digestion.
- Dairy products. Dairy can cause a lack of iron absorption in your system.
- Coffee and black tea. Caffeine also blocks the absorption of iron, so keep it minimal in your diet.
The doctors at PCP for Life can help diagnose, treat and prevent anemia in their offices, not only in Houston but all over Texas.